Friday, January 7, 2011

Christmas, New Year, Roadtripping

Wednesday Jan 5th, 10.43
Sedona, AZ - Santa Cruz, CA

I could not explain to you how beautiful the mountains look from the back seat of Spencer's van. I feel like Charlie Parker who usually took care of all his business in the backseat of taxi's. I am no Charlie Parker but I have gotten pretty good, typing inside a moving vehicle. We just left our beautiful new friends, April and Jake, in Sedona and are making the big drive to Santa Cruz, where we will play tomorrow evening. 

///Memphis, TN///
glow upon holiday skies / beat-up cars on widening roads. / winter warm, love spread. / the memphis blues painted tired eyes / stars and mice sang gospel together on the porch. / rise, sly bird. / from your alley with your elephant hats / in triumph / who would expect life to be true? //////

We went back to Memphis for Christmas. Celebrated with our Memphis family, got invited to E.J Friedman's Norwegian/American Christmas, Vania's Korean Christmas and Johsua Cosby's Bonfire Christmas. Robert and I didn't think we would celebrate much Christmas this year, considering we were far away from home, but I don't think I've ever celebrated this much Christmas. We said goodbye to Memphis with a second show at the Stash House and we managed to gather all the friends we had made in Memphis, it was a magical finish.

///Dallas, TX///
not going to start any other way / true trance in back pockets / cut across the low embrace / can't send any letters so i sing for you on floors / i keep feathers in my hat so you might see me walk by, inside the big crowd / i won't love again but i will say i did / can't send any letters but i am writing on walls, leaving crumbs / i hope you will find me / now i can promise you anything

The drive from Memphis to Grapevine, TX was pretty horrific but as I already mentioned, Spencer is a driving machine. We left too late so he had to drive in the dark, and the rain came pouring down..finally there, we met lovely Danielle who we ended up staying with over New Year. We played a really fun show at Pause, TX which had a killer line-up. Got to play with Back Pockets again, played with them at the Stash House too. Got invited to play a party on new year at a big big big house owned by a lawyer named Gary…drove to Dallas to meet Danielle's friends Ashley and Jack, saw a Telegraph Canyon show. Ashley gave me a copy of 'Still life with Woodpecker' by Tom Robbins which I've been enjoying the past couple of days here in my backseat. 

///Santa Fe, NM///
year eleven / and the first night belongs to you / i will wake up inside your song / your mountains on my shoulder//////

The drive to Santa Fe from Dallas was a lot better. Reaching the desert, the mountains. This is how you should spend your days off on a tour. Again, words don't do my justice, but Bob Dylan once sang: "Santa Fe, dear, dear, dear, dear, dear Santa Fe / My woman needs it ev’ryday / She promised this a-lad she’d stay / She’s rollin’ up a lotta bread to toss away"

///Sedona, AZ///
got here with the sundown / tumbled down mountain roads / back to back / i rolled over on my back / let rain wash the dirt off my face /  it landed on my eyelid / the butterfly / no light long enough//////

We couldn't do this big drive west without making a stop at the grand canyon, but April and Jake was the big event in Arizona. Next stop: Santa Cruz. Twelve hours to go.. 









No comments:

Post a Comment